RTJP (original thread) - OUTDATED

TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Return to Jurassic Park - Looking for experienced modell

Post by machf »

Probably because decompressing music files on the fly and playing them sucks the OS resources dry...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:Probably because decompressing music files on the fly and playing them sucks the OS resources dry...
That too, I'm not very tech-savvy. :P
Still working on that bloody SWP update, still no luck. In the meantime, I redid a few old textures that I didn't like. I have a new one for thatched roofs, but I'm not sure if I like it or not. I guess I'll find out once I get this fixed. :D
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Well, I've been fighting to fix that texture issue for a while now to no avail, so I decided to move on and continue with designing the level for now.
Not too much new stuff at the moment, I'm thinking of making some decorations for the VC cafeteria - such as candles and food items - as well as trying out some interesting new trigger ideas.
I've also invented a few new plot devices for our little story, such what happened to the crew of the SS Venture (there's no way the Rex ate the dude on the bridge), the mystery surrounding the 2003 death of John Hammond, and some events that occurred on Las Cinco Muertes in the years leading up to RTJP. The in-game order of events is already mostly planned out, with plenty of fresh new ideas that will certainly make this mod unique from others. There should be plenty of gameplay time, not including a few planned "side quests" that Diane can partake in to make her time on Isla Nublar less perilous. The main events over the course of the game take place in a sequence of three "acts", with most of the action taking place in the later parts of the game - the early game (up until you get the power back on) is more exploration based.
Some of the "side quests" that I plan to include are finding an electric battery to use in vehicles which will enable fast travel, restoring the water treatment plant to get the taps running, and, in SNES style, finding and destroying the Raptor Nest to remove all Raptors from the game permanently. All this plus the main story should give players a lot to do and ensure the game takes a fair bit of time to actually beat.
I plan on getting some work done tonight as well as on Sunday, so there might actually be something new to show soon enough! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Never mind, here's some newer images to check out:
Spoiler: show
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Some more work I did on the area around the Raptor Pit. There's an open plain (perfect place for an ambush!) which then transitions into a mountainous jungle area.
Click on Image
Repositioned Nedry's Jeep. Now 200% more iconic.
Click on Image
Not sure if I've shown this before, but this is the little dam that controls the flow of the Jungle River into the ocean or Hydroelectric Plant. The plant itself will be mostly underground and relatively small, especially compared to the vast Geothermal Plant.
Click on Image
Here's Jeep 10, still parked at the helipad following the events of Jurassic Park. For some reason it's missing a few textures. :sick:
Click on Image
This is a little road I made leading to the Herrerasaur holding pen. It crosses a small wooden bridge over a long-dried riverbed. This location is actually based on an image I found on the internet - I thought it looked pretty interesting.
Click on Image
Finally, here's what it looks like to look through the VC roof. I made the texture transparent on the Dome Light object. While you're in the building, the exterior roof is hidden to prevent any odd model errors.
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Post by Road Warrior »

Very cool. As usual......
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Frak, sorry guys, I forgot this weekend I have to work for most of tomorrow, plus I have to finish painting a watercolor (of the T-rex from JP) for art class, so there isn't much new stuff. Though on Friday I did a bit more work on the road behind the Visitor Center and the Safari Lodge area, as well as the road between the Main Gate and the Aviary. Also created some new direction post things for various other facilities. Aside from that, though, not much new stuff for a while. Sorry guys. :( I'll try and make up for it with the next update!
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

Look at what I just noticed while flipping through some of the textures I pulled from Jurassic Park the Game:

This is from the lower right corner of the schematic of the maintenance tunnel system. It adds a whole bunch of paddocks to the south and splits the T-Rex paddock along the tour road.
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

hppav
Very interesting find, hppav. Not sure how I missed that in my scan of The Game's textures since I copied anything with interesting imagery. I wonder if this can be considered canonical? Do we have any information about the southern end of the island that might contradict this? I guess it makes a lot more sense when compared to the tour map, especially since there are so many paddocks we don't know the locations of - this gives us an extra five. The split in the Tyrannosaur paddock could be dividing it from the Metriacanthosaur paddock. The only thing that's making things difficult is the open space in the middle - perhaps that's a free range herbivore area? It'll be interesting to investigate further. As well, have you noticed the Isla Sorna map in the Marine Facility that's in the shape of the novel's island? This really makes me wonder if The Game can be considered canonical at all. Although I doubt I'll be changing RTJP to reflect this new map since so much work is already done on this area (although the addition of some more paddocks to the south would help since I'm kind of unsure of what to put there).

FOR ALL YOU OTHER LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! Regarding RTJP's progress, I've got a few new images for you guys, enjoy:
This is the view from the newly updated Safari Lodge cliff over the park grounds. Quite a spectacle, no doubt it'll look amazing once those hills in the background are covered with flora.
Click on Image
Imported hppav's Safari Lodge models and placed them here, but that's subject to change. I want to use these meshes in a circular shape as was shown in some concept art like he originally had them.
Click on Image
An overview of the lodge area, the roads aren't finished yet. The big open area in the middle will be where the reception building is located, and to the left of that will be smaller lodges in the style of Jurassic Park Builder. Beyond the river will be tennis courts and the swimming pool.
Click on Image
Moving away from the lodge, this is the access road running between it and the Visitor Center. The garage entrance is located further down the road.
Click on Image
This field is located just north of the Visitor Center. Added in some long grass to enable raptor attacks and such.
Click on Image
Completed the Proceratosaur paddock and surrounding area. All that's missing now is the submerged maintenance building which will have feeding vents for the proceratosaurs as well as the herbivores.
Click on Image
Looking back across the herbivore paddock toward the Safari Lodge. I'm starting to think of replacing the jungle area blocking the view of the lodge with a pine forest instead, but that would clash with the rest of the area.
Click on Image
Lastly, here's the newly placed north tour road. The areas with breaks are where there will be tunnels (unless it becomes too difficult). The Jurassic Park gate at the top is the entrance to the North Dock.
Click on Image
Also, not sure if I mentioned this before, but there will be one additional level aside from Isla Nublar, and this is a short training mission to help you understand all of RTJP's new features and mechanics. It will take place in the woods near Panama City and will be skippable. I figure you should be prepared before you go into the action so I don't have to add tutorials everywhere that returning players will want to skip. :)
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

TheIdiot wrote:This really makes me wonder if The Game can be considered canonical at all.
Since there hasn't been any official statement that The Game is canon, most people don't worry about whether or not it is canon. In fact most here don't even worry about canon, they just want a good level with a good experience.

And good work on what you've been doing so far 8)
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

hppav wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:This really makes me wonder if The Game can be considered canonical at all.
Since there hasn't been any official statement that The Game is canon, most people don't worry about whether or not it is canon. In fact most here don't even worry about canon, they just want a good level with a good experience.

And good work on what you've been doing so far 8)
Thanks :) . As for the canon, I'm trying to make RTJP's story fit into canon (there's a whole series of text documents describing the events between 1980 to 2005) since I want to keep up the continuity. The only thing I might not worry about is Jurassic World since it seems to be quite a bit different than the other JP movies. The Game at this point is only being used to detail locations we didn't see in the movies (Boneshaker, Field Lab, Tunnels, Marine Facility, North Dock). If the movie shows an area that differs from The Game by its ending, I consider the movie to be the correct version. :P
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Road Warrior »

Those new screens are VERY lovely. Well done. :)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Road Warrior wrote:Those new screens are VERY lovely. Well done. :)
As always, thanks! Also, Road Warrior, would you be interested in modelling some super low-poly buildings for the mod? If so, the buildings would have to be made in "chunks" (see hppav's Visitor Center for an example). I could do the texturing for the most part, I just can't model complex stuff worth crap. There's not much I would need done, you can PM me if you have any questions. :)

Also, just an update as to what's going on with the mod; I've got machf taking a look at islanublar.scn to see if he can fix the SWP update issues I'm having. I'm hesitant to do anything else until he's got back to me, so there hasn't been much work done. I modelled the table at the back of the cafeteria and did a tiny bit of terrain work here and there, but for the most part, I've got nothing. Sorry guys. :sick: I'll get right back to work as soon as he's finished up, though I'm not sure yet if the SWP update can even be done.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: Also, just an update as to what's going on with the mod; I've got machf taking a look at islanublar.scn to see if he can fix the SWP update issues I'm having. I'm hesitant to do anything else until he's got back to me, so there hasn't been much work done.
About that... sinxe my PC had died a while back, and I only got it working again last friday and have been testing it over the weekend, I haven't been able to do much yet (aside from opening the files on my laptop). I'll finally be able to take a better look over the next days, now that my PC appears to be running fine again...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Return to Jurassic Park

Post by TheIdiot »

Time for another update! First off, although it's a few days late, give a warm welcome to Road Warrior, who will be doing some complex modelling work for the mod (since I suck at modelling)! As well, machf and I have been working to get an SWP-updated version of the level working, so far without success. :(

In terms of the mod itself, still not a lot of progress, I did a bit more on the story of RTJP as well as started writing a sort of draft walkthrough for the main story (kind of like the one the Tres developers used) so I can give myself an outline when I start programming in the puzzles and placing enemies. I also wrote a whole record of the events surrounding the islands as well as InGen's history from 1980 to 2004. Some non-spoiler related events include a volcanic eruption in 1999 that caused climate change on the Five Deaths and sank Isla Pena into the ocean (hence the tropical environments in JP3), as well as the American's dropping of a bomb on Isla Sorna following the events of JP3. This bombing leads to many Central American governments becoming suspicious of the USA, which gives Diane and her superior Robert Armstrong reason to be working in Panama.

I've set Road Warrior with the task of designing and modelling the main Safari Lodge building so I can continue to do level work on that area. It'll be based more on actual safari lodges with a Jurassic Park-style touch to it. Here's an idea of the style we're going for:

I'm sure he'll do it justice, seeing his previous work on the Town and other objects. I myself have modeled a very basic and partially unfinished Herbivore / Proceratosaur Maintenance Shed since I want to set up a basic version of the starting portion of the game. It is completely underground with access to the Maintenance Tunnels as well as lifts for hay bales and goats. Some WIP images, ignore the messy terrain:
Click on Image
Click on Image
That's about it for now, looks like progress is slowly but surely starting to come back. :)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Been awfully quiet 'round these parts recently. :P

Popping in just to give a bit of an update on what I've been up to recently. I've been cast in a local play and this has been taking up a good deal of my time - three days a week, plus work and my commitment to band practice means I've been busy every night except Sundays. However, I've slowly been adding onto RTJP's level files and implementing many, many new sound effects. I've replaced all of Anne's general sounds with a different voice from a game I can't quite remember at the moment, as well as swapped out most of her footstep sounds with different ones from Sourcemod. I also imported the sounds for the Tyrannosaurus and Velociraptor from JP:TG, as well as a few I extracted from the movies. Just these small sound changes make a massive difference and make it feel like a totally different game experience...it all feels very unique. :) Additionally, I took the Ceratosaurus model from TC-Isle and modified it a bit to look more like a Proceratosaur. I'm not done skinning it yet, so nothing to show yet unfortunately. :(
In regards to the actual level files, check out these new screenshots:
A view of the South Triceratops Paddock. This is the location from The Game where Jess and Gerry Harding are spotting the dinosaurs before everything goes downhill. The cliff isn't quite high enough, but it gets the job done in this scale.
Click on Image
Same area, looking down into the paddock in roughly the same place they are in The Game. The Maintenance Building will be on the left.
Click on Image
An overview of the whole area. It's about 60 percent finished.
Click on Image
A new vehicle, Jeep 16. This one is hidden in the woods and Diane will need to locate it and then pass a series of puzzles to actually reach it. The reason for coming out here will be integral to her progress toward the Visitor Center.
Click on Image
Here's a bit of work I did on the Brachiosaur Paddock. This area is really coming along now, it's pretty close to being finished. The pile of white gravel is a sort of collapse in the concrete moat and will allow Diane down into the paddock, as well as out again.
Click on Image
Recognize this area? This is the original location of the Raptor Pit, but now it's been converted to a field leading into dense forest where the Utility Shed is located. Nowhere near finished yet, but it's a start.
Click on Image
And here's a little update I did on the Visitor Center's rotunda, trying to get a bit more FPS. I removed a few bones, deleted some unnecessary physics, and blocked up the staircase with the collapsed Rex skeleton since I no longer want to have the stairs destroyed. Diane will have to find another way to the second floor.
Click on Image
Those observant viewers may have noticed the new sign next to the Brachiosaur Paddock. I've made one for every dinosaur on the island. Here's a little composite of some of them:
Click on Image
Finally, I went and made some new boxes based on hppav's Nublar crate from his VC level. I wore them down a bit and made several new textures. There will likely be a few more variants with different logos and words on them.
Click on Image
No word from RoadWarrior regarding his work yet, but there's no rush. We all have our own agendas, and RTJP is just a side project I work on in my spare time, nothing serious. Hopefully we'll have more to share with you guys in the upcoming weeks. :P
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Road Warrior »

Sorry about that.:)

Been working seven days straight. Just pulled fifty-eight hours this time. I used to work as an Inventory Control Supervisor; my current job is requiring allot of those old skills.

I did have a bit of time to doodle up a concept sketch- will post the image when I get it uploaded. Bare in mind that it's not really what I'm going for- just a doodle, really. More when I can.

edit- got the doodles uploaded.
http://i.imgur.com/MT9aF9v.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mpfC4uY.jpg