Read all the other stories from the world

Moderators: scallenger, Rebel, Sky, madppiper

Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

My sci-fi short story...

Post by Slugger »

It's been too quite around here, and after much deliberation, I decided to post a short sci-fi story that I had written. It's actually part of a series (and I have several other short stories), and if you guys are interested, I'll post some more. Here ya go:

------------------
Note: This story was written a little over two years ago.
------------------

Adeste Fideles

“Father Grigori, the Tirrans are attacking!” The phrase hung in his head like smoke over a fire.

His deacon had yelled that at him as he rushed through the giant wooden doors of the church, down into the crumbling street and into the mob of people that ran chaotically every which way.

Now Father Grigori stood holding onto those door, staring out at the crowd. A Tirran ship rocketed over the top of the church, shaking the stone building as if an earthquake had struck it. Tiny pebbles and sand rained down on his head, but he didn’t care; he had to figure out a way to escape.

The Tirran ship circled around again, this time skimming low the ground right above the scrambling people’s heads. A blue light shone suddenly was emitted from the underside of the Tirran craft, and a substance that looked like rippling water made a membrane between the craft and the stone street.

The craft drove straight for the people and whoever was caught in the membrane disappeared in a flash of light followed by a horrific sound – Grigori wasn’t sure if it was the victim’s final scream of pain or some weird device – and their empty clothes drifted to the ground.

The membrane disappeared, and the craft howled up into the dark midnight sky.

Grigori was terrified. He gripped onto the door as if it had the power to save his life. He heard more of that awful sound echoing across the village, saw the silver darts of the Tirran ships zip across the sky.

Why were the Tirrans punishing them thus? They had done nothing but worship them faithfully, Grigori had made sure of that. His Bible had spoke of such retribution as this, but he thought it was only a tale to steer straight the followers.

The crowd of people disappeared, leaving behind only their clothes. The Tirran ship screamed up towards the heavens, disappearing in the thick haze of clouds.

Grigori summoned his strength, prayed to the Tirrans for forgiveness, and bolted down the wet stone steps and into the street. There had been a rain shower an hour before, and the air and ground were still damp. Puddles here and there were being soaked up by the empty clothing.

He heard the whine of a ship, dove into a thicket in front of a thatched house. His long priest’s robe got caught, and he thrashed around in fear, before finally untangling it from the mess of thorns.

Another Tirran ship screamed down the street. He finally got a better look at one: it was long and silvery, shaped like an arrowhead, with a clear bubble in the front through which he could make out a human figure. The craft whined as it passed over head, and its sides scrapped the houses lining either side of the street, raining debris down on Grigori.

When there was a brief moment of silence, he crawled out from under the bush, and dashed down the slippery streets. The town had a dreary look to it, like it was cloaked in a gray haze. It could have been his imagination, or it could have been left over from the storm.

He dove through a door and into a house when the high-pitched whine began creeping up on him again. The house still had its candle lit, but was apparently vacant. A townsman tried to follow him, but was scooped up by the blazing membrane.

He heard whimpers behind him, and turned around, startled. To his bewilderment three teenagers sat on a dingy bed. There were two girls and a boy; he knew the boy as an altar server. “Tyren” was his name, Grigori recalled varguely. The name meant “Strength from the Tirrans.”

How appropriate, he thought.

“Father,” Tyren said dimly. “What should we do?”

Grigori took a moment to compose himself. “We must leave this town, before the Tirrans burn it to the ground.”

One of the girls, about sixteen by the looks of it, asked: “Will they do such a terrible deed?”

Grigori nodded. “Our scriptures speak of burning rain that consumes the unholy. We have failed in our task to worship the Tirrans, and it is rightly so that they punish us. Come, quickly.” He reached out and grabbed the young woman’s hand, and lifted her from the bed.

Tyren took hold of the other girl’s hand and rose. The two girls clasped hands, and with Grigori leading the chain, they inched out through the doorway.

The dark sky hid the Tirran vessels too well. Grigori sucked in air and dashed out into the street again, pulling the juveniles along with him. He heard the familiar whine, dove right – but was yanked left as Tyren pulled. He slipped on the wet cobblestone, and tumbled face down, pulling the scream girl down on top of him.

There was a bright flash of white light, and he felt the girl’s hand slip out of his. A moment later his vision returned, and to his horror he held onto only the girl’s worn out glove, and her empty clothing seemed to tighten itself around his neck.

He shot up onto his feet and stared at the empty clothes. She was right there, I held her! Tyren was nestled up against a building hanging onto the other girl for dear life, sobbing.

There was a screech of sound from behind him, then a sharp tickle all over his body, and then blinding light – and Grigori’s empty priest robe flittered down onto the wet street.

#
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
TrikeUatra
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by TrikeUatra »

I really enjoyed that. Right mix of mystery and acion ;) I'd love to read more... especially in that series :yes:
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Thanks for the comments TrikeUatra. :) I'll post some more up for you.
Ghosty
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Ghosty »

Yeah it was very nice... You didn't happen to have played Half-Life2, Father Grigory, Ravenholm?
Fear the Boo!

"The Hunters Landed on may 13:th
1997 deep in the islands southwest,
most of them had worked at my
African parks for years...
They never stood a chance..."

John P. Hammond
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Ghosty wrote:Yeah it was very nice... You didn't happen to have played Half-Life2, Father Grigory, Ravenholm?
As the introduction stated, this was written over two years ago, before the game ever came out.

"Grigori" are actually fallen angels from the Bible. They mated with women, giving rise to a race of giants.

So, yeah, a freak coinidence.
Ghosty
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Ghosty »

Oh, i didn't notice the note...
Fear the Boo!

"The Hunters Landed on may 13:th
1997 deep in the islands southwest,
most of them had worked at my