TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:40 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:37 pm 
Offline
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2002 11:17 am
Posts: 2096
Location: Germany
glitchhunter09 wrote:
hppav wrote:
We should definitely NOT put pre-release info on other sites gained from content found through questionable means. It could cause EA to investigate how it's intellectual property was leaked onto the internet and those who leaked it, whoever they are, could get in BIG trouble. I don't think we should risk anyone's careers/lives/criminal records for an extremely slim chance that we'd get more visitors. I think this is a VERY VERY bad idea. What if you were the person who leaked stuff out to a few hardcore fans of a game only to find out that it was posted abroad and EA's lawyers are knocking on your door?


You think I wanted to help the site's publicity with this? lol. That is by far the most inaccurate conjecture behind my motives. I merely needed some extra hands to tend to the creation of the article as well as my own. However, it seems I have underestimated your copyright paranoia. Some people seem to have the false idea that talking about copyrighted material is illegal. It's not. It's illegally DOWNLOADING the actual product, media, warez, whatever. I don't care about this site's publicity. [...]


I can see that you are obviously annoyed by many things, but please try to remain calm during these discussions. I can see that your motives aren't bad, and I know that everybody else would agree on this, but personally insulting everybody else on this board is NOT going to help me understand your point of view.

For as far as I understand, you wanted to have some sort of support to put up a wiki page on a different website. That is quite understandable, but instead of discussing this, it seems like you are getting yourself into an argument, which you are unlikely to win. If I or anybody else is concerned about legal issues, you will not change my perspective by rambling on about how shitty this website is. Rather, try to convince me that it is not of concern and try to find valid arguments for it. Or better yet, in case you cannot convince me in this particular case, give me some information on WHY I should still help you, even though it may be a little risky... so far you haven't adressed either...

_________________
My Recent Projects:
Ilscipio - eCommerce, anyone? :)
Paul-Piper.de - For whoever really wants to know stuff about me
Scipio ERP - A modern business software
Browseo - a nifty seo tool


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:44 pm 
Offline
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 9:40 pm
Posts: 6495
Location: Peru, Indiana
RexHunter99 wrote:
hppav wrote:
Technically making custom content for Trespasser violates the EULA so...

Actually, so long as we purchased the game, (no matter whom from) and it is a legitimate copy, EULA doesn't restrict us from modding or hackign the game, that's down to moral obligation :P


Our tools were created by reverse engineering the game's files and thus violates the EULA.

_________________
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:16 pm 
Offline
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Bloomington, IN, USA
Meh, I want to apologize about my outburst yesterday. Yes, I was just looking for some people to help set up an article on the wiki for research purposes. No, I was not intending to jeopardize anybody's legal standing. I'm not an idiot you know. The site doesn't post links to illegal software either. They are about as against it as you guys are. They are just a wiki that digs through ROMS or PC games' internal data and post their findings without actually linking to the ROM/PC game itself. Lots of sites do this actually. (I should know, I've been to several and joined several of their forums as well.) An article on Trespasser would be huge. That's why I didn't want to deal with the task by myself.

So, now that I've explained my reasoning behind it, there you go.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:02 pm 
Offline
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:49 pm
Posts: 2
Hi! I happen to be the guy that hosts and runs The Cutting Room Fl--
Quote:
Not to sound unfair, but exposure is NOT something we'd gain by putting it on THAT site. Going by Alexa-stats, and other estimates, the traffic on that site is extremely low - the Pagerank of 0 shows that is irrelevant by the measure of other websites, too. It seems like an interesting site, yes, but it is really what I would call a "special-interest" community with low membership.

...oor. Image

We're not that bad, I swear... and growing bigger all the time. (3000+ weekly visits, 8000+ when someone like GoNintendo links to us)


I'm not going to really say one way or another on whether posting it on TCRF would increase your exposure, but it certainly can't hurt ... and our goal is to have stuff like this for every game, so one way or another I'd like it to be there eventually.


As for worrying if EA is going to come sue you, well ... I'll just say that the Chrono Trigger Prerelease has been happily documented (on TCRF too), and while Square-Enix sent a C&D to Chrono Compendium ... it was over their hack of the game, Crimson Echoes, and nothing else.

There are several sites out there that deal with exposing unused content in games from all companies (and I'm sure there are some from EA too) and I have yet to hear of any that have actually gotten any sort of takedown notice... except for Half-Life 2's leak, but that was mostly from people actually posting the game... Case in point, the Half-Life wiki has happily had their article on Half-Life 2's beta up for months (if not years) with no ill response whatsoever.


Hope I could clear some stuff up for you. No hard feelings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:39 pm 
Offline
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Bloomington, IN, USA
I didn't expect you to be here Xkeeper. How on earth did you find this place? Well anyway, welcome to the boards. :)

Edit: Oh wait, looking at traffic to and from your site right?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:23 am 
Offline
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:49 pm
Posts: 2
More or less. I saw this thread long ago, then kind of raised an eyebrow when I started seeing it pop up again. Surprised it's still going.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:50 pm 
Offline
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Bloomington, IN, USA
Sorry to revive this old topic but good news everyone! The Trespasser article is now a featured article on the cutting room floor wiki! Special thanks to Tatu for being such a good consultant on certain things. (and for making a few edits as well)
https://tcrf.net/Jurassic_Park:_Trespasser

Currently I'm working on a page for Plantation house on the prototypes page for the PCgamer prototype.

https://tcrf.net/Proto:Jurassic_Park:_Trespasser

You can see what I have done so far here. And yes if there was anyone to source I made sure to source them. If I missed you and you'd like to be sourced though, let me know.

Also, there's this other page I'm working on related to Trespasser:
https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:Jurassic_Park:_Trespasser

The pages are only kind of complete as I've been focused on the prototype pages. If you'd like to help expand them in the mean time, please feel free. If not I'll get to them eventually.

One thing I do definitely need from the community though are PNG pictures of all the mystery models with textures and .wav rips of all the voice overs. I'm having trouble getting the sound dumping program to properly dump the voice overs so I REALLY need those. And yes no substitutes. They HAVE to be in these formats. (well the wav files will be converted to OGG but they have to be lossless to start out with per wiki standards) The wiki standards are VERY clear on this. The only exception are pre-release photos and screenshots which should stay in whatever format they were. For videos, youtube links/embedded youtube videos may be used.

Also another thing I could use is help determining what screenshots were released when so I can have an ordered development timeline. If anyone can help with this, it would be greatly appreciated. On another note, who the hell messed up the photo gallery on the main site? Everything's disordered and it's now hard to find pre-release photos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:38 am 
Offline
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:20 pm
Posts: 10847
Location: Lima, Peru
glitchhunter09 wrote:

One thing I do definitely need from the community though are PNG pictures of all the mystery models

Take the existing pictures of the mystery models and re-save them as .png, then...
Quote:
with textures and .wav rips of all the voice overs. I'm having trouble getting the sound dumping program to properly dump the voice overs so I REALLY need those.

If you mean the ones from the PC Gamer and E3 versions... well, they aren't in the same format as the ones in the retail, beta or demo, and so TPAreader is unable to process them properly. I did extract them all to CAU files, however. You can use those to convert them to WAV either using TPAreader to add the to a dummy TPA file and convert them to wav from there, or using EffectsEditor (released together with the latest version of CE) to add them to a dummy TPA file likewise...

Quote:
And yes no substitutes. They HAVE to be in these formats. (well the wav files will be converted to OGG but they have to be lossless to start out with per wiki standards) The wiki standards are VERY clear on this.

Uh... given that any ADPCM compressed sound is already compressed in a lossy way, it really is silly to demand that it be converted to a lossless format since there is no way to recover what has already been lost.


Quote:
The only exception are pre-release photos and screenshots which should stay in whatever format they were. For videos, youtube links/embedded youtube videos may be used.

Also another thing I could use is help determining what screenshots were released when so I can have an ordered development timeline. If anyone can help with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck with that. After so many years, finding out where each image came from will be very difficult.

Quote:
On another note, who the hell messed up the photo gallery on the main site? Everything's disordered and it's now hard to find pre-release photos.

It's one of the things that happened during the server update... this is a new software that handles things differently.

_________________
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:24 am 
Offline
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Bloomington, IN, USA
machf wrote:
glitchhunter09 wrote:

One thing I do definitely need from the community though are PNG pictures of all the mystery models

Take the existing pictures of the mystery models and re-save them as .png, then...
Quote:
with textures and .wav rips of all the voice overs. I'm having trouble getting the sound dumping program to properly dump the voice overs so I REALLY need those.

If you mean the ones from the PC Gamer and E3 versions... well, they aren't in the same format as the ones in the retail, beta or demo, and so TPAreader is unable to process them properly. I did extract them all to CAU files, however. You can use those to convert them to WAV either using TPAreader to add the to a dummy TPA file and convert them to wav from there, or using EffectsEditor (released together with the latest version of CE) to add them to a dummy TPA file likewise...

Quote:
And yes no substitutes. They HAVE to be in these formats. (well the wav files will be converted to OGG but they have to be lossless to start out with per wiki standards) The wiki standards are VERY clear on this.

Uh... given that any ADPCM compressed sound is already compressed in a lossy way, it really is silly to demand that it be converted to a lossless format since there is no way to recover what has already been lost.


Quote:
The only exception are pre-release photos and screenshots which should stay in whatever format they were. For videos, youtube links/embedded youtube videos may be used.

Also another thing I could use is help determining what screenshots were released when so I can have an ordered development timeline. If anyone can help with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck with that. After so many years, finding out where each image came from will be very difficult.

Quote:
On another note, who the hell messed up the photo gallery on the main site? Everything's disordered and it's now hard to find pre-release photos.

It's one of the things that happened during the server update... this is a new software that handles things differently.



First off I can't take the existing pictures of the mystery models and convert them to PNG. That's against the rules of the wiki as well. as for the lossy thing, I mean they have to be in wav format, that means no converted MP3's. Also I need the retail audio files and build 96 where applicable. I don't think the E3 and PCgamer protos have anything new as far as voiceovers go.... do they?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:42 pm 
Offline
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:40 pm
Posts: 3303
Location: Sweden
glitchhunter09 wrote:
First off I can't take the existing pictures of the mystery models and convert them to PNG. That's against the rules of the wiki as well. as for the lossy thing, I mean they have to be in wav format, that means no converted MP3's. Also I need the retail audio files and build 96 where applicable. I don't think the E3 and PCgamer protos have anything new as far as voiceovers go.... do they?


Why can't you? You got approval from here to do so.

If you can't convert files from mp3 you can't really use the ones from the TPAs either since they are converted to Wav from CAU files.

The E3 and PCGamer audio is the VO without the echo and in higher quality.

As for the pictures: http://www.trescom.org/concept-art/ this is still the same as the old one. Easy to find earlier screenshots.

_________________
"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."

"The main laboratory and administrative buildings. This is where we made our work, where the real magic trick happen. When they are in need of height fixing, they'll come here." - Hammond


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:08 pm 
Offline
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Bloomington, IN, USA
They have guidelines
https://tcrf.net/Help:Contents/Images
I suggest you read them.

Quote:
One of TCRF's primary goals is accurate documentation and preservation of unused content. Unlike many other wikis and websites, we have very strict guidelines governing the quality and formatting of user-submitted images. Whenever possible, images should be pixel-perfect representations of the raw output of a system's video hardware (before it is sent to the console's video encoding circuitry, if any). This means that they must not be resized, filtered, adjusted, watermarked, or compressed in any way, with very few exceptions.

No JPEGs.

Please take your screenshots using PNG format. Don't try to convert JPEGs to PNGs. This only serves to make the file much larger and has zero impact on image quality.
Exception: If a texture or other graphic was originally stored as a JPEG, and you can cleanly extract it from the game, you can upload it in its original format.
If getting a PNG screenshot is not currently feasible, upload the original JPEG and mark it with the {{replaceimage}} template.


Yes I could do the last thing but I know someone must be able to take screenshots of the mystery models.
Regarding sound files, whatever. ADPCM is wav also Not really looking for the PCgamer/E3 audio files if that's the only difference. I'd do this myself if I could get the damn ADPCM program to rip them right. And I'd ask to tell me how but everytime I ask you guys find some way to ignore me asking for help.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:08 pm 
Offline
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:40 pm
Posts: 3303
Location: Sweden
Just use TPAReader to extract the audio from the TPA files. It will save them as Wav files.

We're trying to help, we're not ignoring you.

I still don't understand the image part. Do the images need to be taken from in-game? Just download the models and get a trial version of 3ds Max and take the images yourself. What you are asking is time consuming for a lot of us, you can't always expect people to have time to do everything. Loading, taking images, resize to only have the model, save takes a lot of time. Same goes for extracting the audio, which I guess you want to have named too.

Also, there are a lot of help on the forum or in the tools help files. We are not ignoring.

_________________
"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."

"The main laboratory and administrative buildings. This is where we made our work, where the real magic trick happen. When they are in need of height fixing, they'll come here." - Hammond


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:51 pm 
Offline
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:08 pm
Posts: 778
Location: Bloomington, IN, USA
for some reason whenever I dump the voice overs to wav using TPA reader they don't work properly.

edit: okay no longer need the voice overs thanks to a fellow member of TCRF. I still need those images though but as you said I can get a trial of 3DS max.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group