Early screenshots location?

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Early screenshots location?

Post by machf »

Remember these early screenshots, some even in hi-res?
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Click on Image

That location is even featured in the Trespasser MPEG video...

I'm still wondering where it may be from. Some version of Pine Valley? Of Ascent? A custom level like the one for the "VIEW" building?

New homework for you, people... :wink:
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Early screenshots location?

Post by tatu »

I'm gonna say some early small test level like the "view" building one, as you can see where the terrain ends.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

In some ways these remind me of the gorge in Ascent 2, maybe there's a connection.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

I thought those were Pine Valley shots?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hilwo wrote:I thought those were Pine Valley shots?
MinePass wrote:In some ways these remind me of the gorge in Ascent 2, maybe there's a connection.
I've tried to find a matching location both in PV and in AS, with no luck. If you do, let us know...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

I agree with tatu, it seems these are just small areas of terrain that were never really full levels. Been wondering about these for a long time, too. It's also worth noting that none of the objects seen in these images are present anywhere in the game, in any version. The only recognizable thing is the ground textures. The terrain also looks much better detailed than it ever does in Tres, so that adds to my conclusion that these are just early 3DS Max renders in a level that never was in the game. Personally, the ravine running through the center of the map reminds me a lot of IJ1, particularly the area where the streambed gets a lot deeper just before the Spielburg falling jeep easter egg.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

There's actually a few blank heightmaps for other levels in addition to the ones with actual data. Perhaps it was one of those test levels. You know who might remember? Seamus Blackley.
HaroldRedwood
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HaroldRedwood »

Personally... I think those images go with the Tres dev's frequent use of PV content, for promotional purposes.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Yeah, but they had to make the terrain to take the screenshots, (even in 3DS Max) this same area also appears in the pre-rendered trailer breifly.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Just found these in Tatu's image collection.
forest_[2].gif
forest_[2].gif (155.31 KiB) Viewed 24628 times
jurasi_a.jpg
jurasi_a.jpg (8.94 KiB) Viewed 24628 times
Notice the similarities in the seconded image to the ones machf posted.

Just took a look at the trespasser trailer on YouTube and I was right the image with the gorge is in the trailer. Looking at the walkthrough for PV the beginning has a number of gorge/dried river puzzles. If this is connected to PV it was probably cut because they had issues with the Albertosaurus ending up in the gorge thus ruining the chase. below is an excerpt from Philip Salas about PV.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5247
We had allot of hopes for “Pine Valleyâ€￾ as well... it was
originally a "giant" area divided into
three major sections of complex game play, surrounded by beautiful
scenery of intertwining roads through
a lush Pine Valley forest (hence the name of the level). You later
progressed on to a section deeper in
the Valley, by a Raptor's den with some very aggressive Raptor's
protecting the grounds of some abandoned
Mayan ruins. You later proceeded on to the electrical plant section,
over seeing a vast cliff
side with a beach head below. The level finally ended after you
completed the puzzles within the electrical
plant, than taking a long drive or "walk" until reaching an abandoned
post, which was protected by some Raptors
and a very hungry T-REX.

Even though Pine Valley was completed artistically, one of the chief
reasons we decided to cut it from
the game, were the technical difficulty’s within some of the game
play. The limited time allotted to correct these,
forced us to eventually split up this wonderful level(cutting most of
it), in hopes of trying to rescue all
the hard work. What partially survived of "Pine Valley", is what you
see it in the released version of the game.
HaroldRedwood
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Post by HaroldRedwood »

Hmmm. Do we know, which dev created the Trespasser Demo?
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Lately I've been looking at the various versions of "raptor valley" and I believe I've found a slim match to the forest_[2].gif. In build 55 the valley aceands up, over by 1032,558,126 the terrain dips down before becoming a low ridge. Now in the forest_[2].gif we see a flat section of land with a low ridge at the end, thoughts?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oooo, I hadn't investigated PV b55 beyond a brief analysis of the proto terrain to the north of the geo plant, it's... both interesting and quite empty. The terrain in older builds says a lot about how the devs altered things to be more playable.

The spot you indicate seems as good a place as any along the North boarder of the valley proper. I will point out that over time it's become clear that images from around that time in development seem to be made using mini "display-only" levels such as the one found in the Tres source. At any rate, a favorite image of mine; certain trees in town often remind me of it.
MinePass
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by MinePass »

Draconisaurus wrote:Oooo, I hadn't investigated PV b55 beyond a brief analysis of the proto terrain to the north of the geo plant, it's... both interesting and quite empty. The terrain in older builds says a lot about how the devs altered things to be more playable.
yay for my project I was having a tough time getting the feel for what the terrain should be. In 55 it goes up that rise but in 96 it's clearly been hastily altered, not to mention the path going up the sides of the hill. And don't get me started on the raptor nest terrain :nerd:.
I will point out that over time it's become clear that images from around that time in development seem to be made using mini "display-only" levels such as the one found in the Tres source. At any rate, a favorite image of mine; certain trees in town often remind me of it.

So your saying the scenes such as the Rex shack, view/tar pit, and raptor gorge we're all in separate levels and we're never part of the real game? If so why would they go to the trouble of creating unique pieces and concepts if they didn't intend to use them?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

The terrain from the source, IIRC, was used for this image:
Click on Image
The Rex Shack was definitely one of the mini-scenes, rather than an imgame location. The Tar Pit probably was, though may actually have been an area in PV near the plant. Not sure which raptor gorge you're referring to. The View Building, likewise a mini-scene, sadly.
Why go to the trouble - to build up interest for the game while the actual levels were still WIP. Simultaneously, they were obviously meant to convey the visions they had at that time for the final product, and used the versions of would-be assets they had at that time. Not quite sure where the Rex Shack was intended to go... Possibly something a dev whipped up when asked to put together something interesting for the public to look at.