TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:29 pm 
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

18 years ago, Seamus Blackley and his team went to the Electronic Entertainment Expo, also known as E3 1998. Here they would show and share their ideas and a game like no other. Due to pressure from men in suite above, it was released unfinished, and to be known as one of the worst failures in PC gaming history.

This E3 demo with the amazing looking brown raptor. Maybe the green T-rex?

For 18 years, Trespasser fans have always thought and wondering if this E3 demo still awaits somewhere in a darkened room, in a dirty derelict building somewhere in the world.

And it did. And it has arrived, at last.

READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING

This download is the same archive sent to us, unmodified. It contains 3 builds. To note however, is that two of them is the completely same build but was ripped from two different discs (both E3 builds are the same one).

Most people should have no problem running these by using the installer (setup95.exe in setup folder). One important note here is that you HAVE to uninstall any previous version (if you have one installed) before installing a new one, otherwise it will ask you for the CD).

These levels can't be read by TresEd at the moment. There is a hack so you can view them, but it will not show any textures in the level. Working TresEd versions is in the works and should be released here THIS week.

Same goes for the TPA files. No tool can read them at the moment, but that is also in the works. Stay put on info about that.

These have at least been tested, and working on Windows 10 64-bit computer. Be sure to run these in Windows 98 compatibility mode!

And last: Please avoid using this topic to post about your discoveries, and leave it if people having problems getting these to run! However, please use this forum (Pre-Release) to post about your discoveries ;)

DOWNLOAD: http://www.trescom.org/files/alphabuilds/Trespasser.rar

Any problems? Please post here!

Special huge thanks to Deadeyeguy_45 who discovered the Tweet and to Seamus Blackley who happily shared this with us!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:41 pm 
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Thank you!!!

I can not believe this day is happening. :o

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:44 pm 

We can't either! LOL

Download The New GOLD Edition

Austin Grossman EXCLUSIVE Interview

RIP Richard Attenborough

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:29 pm 
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:10 am 
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Incredible!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:54 am 
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

"This version of Trespasser requires an Intel PentiumPro/Pentium II Processor"

Guess my AMD six core 3.3 GHz processor isn't good enough to run an 18 year old demo... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:48 pm 

Someone else had the same problem, hm, was it Scall? I don't remember. And since I haven't experienced it, I have no idea how to fix it. Which version did you try to run?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:54 pm 
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

tatu wrote:
Someone else had the same problem, hm, was it Scall? I don't remember. And since I haven't experienced it, I have no idea how to fix it. Which version did you try to run?

I have the same problem, with the PC Gamer version.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:21 pm 
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

I had the same problem. Just delete processor.dll

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:52 pm 
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Thanks a ton! I'm gonna try and boot these up in CE and see how it runs.

Also, on a somewhat similar note - this is nearly a build of the entire game, so could we perhaps upload Build 96 to TresCom for archiving legally? We have released beta versions of the game before. I feel that it would make it much more accessible to people who want to check it out as well as keep it somewhere safe should the download link ever be taken down. And in 2 years, Trespasser retail will be 20 years old, which is typically what has been defined as sort of the cutoff for Abandonware (at least, that's what I've been told). Either way I just think it would be smart to have it archived here, PROVIDED WE DON'T BREAK ANY LAWS in the process.

Sometimes I wonder why I continue to mod a broken, unpopular game from 1998. Then I remember the hilarious arm physics, the wonky dinosaurs, and, of course, the first set of boobs I'd seen close up in first person.
Yeah, this certainly is the game for me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:58 pm 

That's something I think we could/should do at this point to. We are being told by the actual makers of the game now to showcase their work, so why not? The worst that could happen is if EA actually cares to have it taken down, and we do. I doubt they would shut us down entirely. We still aren't offering their actual commercially released game (which is no longer even in print, and hasn't been for some time). We aren't claiming anything as our own here.

We actually still also need to have even Trespasser CE for people to know about on the site and download, since it is currently the best way, and for some the only way to experience it on modern machines.

Btw, unrelated: check out the Jungle Road level in the PCGAMER set... and listen to the Hammond voiceovers. You guys notice anything that I do...?

Yeah... I can't wait for those TPAs to be popped open like champagne...

Download The New GOLD Edition

Austin Grossman EXCLUSIVE Interview

RIP Richard Attenborough

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:03 pm 

TheIdiot wrote:

These can't run in CE. It uses some different formats for the PID file, which CE can't run. At the moment their original builds are the only ones that can run them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:29 pm 
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Quote:
Btw, unrelated: check out the Jungle Road level in the PCGAMER set... and listen to the Hammond voiceovers. You guys notice anything that I do...?

Can't remember...where's the link to this?

tatu wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:

These can't run in CE. It uses some different formats for the PID file, which CE can't run. At the moment their original builds are the only ones that can run them.

Yeah, you're right. Damn. I can't find the original build anywhere, either, and running it would just break my computer. Guess I'll have to wait.

Sometimes I wonder why I continue to mod a broken, unpopular game from 1998. Then I remember the hilarious arm physics, the wonky dinosaurs, and, of course, the first set of boobs I'd seen close up in first person.
Yeah, this certainly is the game for me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:12 am 

TheIdiot wrote:
Yeah, you're right. Damn. I can't find the original build anywhere, either, and running it would just break my computer. Guess I'll have to wait.

What original build? And why would it break your computer?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:01 am 
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

A true dream come true. thanks for posting this. I would love to hear the story behind it.

One thing I noticed is the Quake symbol is hidden in the mayan ruins in PV. has that always been there?

Ian: Yeah, but when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists...

visit my website @ http://www.freewebs.com/masterchiefoo7

Last edited by masterchiefoo7 on Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.